CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I love my job!

Today I got to go to the elementary school and teach the students about two American photographers - Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984) and Dorothea Lange (1895 - 1965). I just love teaching the kids about artists and their work. There were such interesting stories to tell about these two photographers, and the kids asked lots of questions! Who would have guessed that the thing that finally helped a very intelligent hyperactive kid to focus, was learning to play the piano?! And who would have guessed that Ansel Adams really struggled for a time to decide whether to be a professional pianist or to be a photographer?! I had no idea. They say he hiked all over Yosemite with a 40 lb pack on his back. He had a good sense of humor and loved to tell stories. His black and white photographs are legendary.





Dorothea spent much of her life photographing people in a way that showed the effects of the Great Depression, the Japanese in the Internment Camps, and people in other parts of the world. The picture of her on top of the car shows her holding the huge camera she used. The picture above that one is the one she is most known for. It is called Migrant Mother, and shows a 32 year old woman with 3 children. They were pea pickers, but the peas had frozen, so this family was getting by on frozen peas and the birds her children killed. They were so destitute with no work, no place to live. When this photograph was circulated in the newspapers the government sent 20,000 lbs of food to this pea pickers' camp to help out the desperate people there.
It was interesting that the students related to the Great Depression because of the frightening news we are hearing these days. Always there are those students who notice something profound in the art. I especially enjoyed the hugs I got today, seeing the beautiful birthday dress one girl was wearing (it was her birthday AND picture day), and I loved receiving two drawings that were done for me in class. One is a picture of me, and I do look fine! Too much fun!
Who do you think I should teach about next?



3 comments:

Jaime said...

Wow, how fun for you, I didn't know that you did that at schools. Those stories are amazing!

The Smiths said...

I loved reading about the artists! Thank you for sharing with us!

I recommend Faith Ringgold. She has several childrens books. Her artwork includes quilts that tell stories. Some of her characters are in several of her books. We just read "Bonjour, Lonnie."

Jeremy recommends Chris van Allsburg. (Jumanji, Polar Express) His picturebook, The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, is great to use as story starters.

I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear about your next artist(s).

mom/Anne said...

Thanks for the suggestions! As a matter of fact I taught the students about Faith Ringgold a few months ago. I used the story book Tar Beach, and I had a poster and some other examples of her quilts. I'm afraid the kids didn't seem as interested in her work as in some of the other artists I've done. Did you know that I saw an original Ringgold quilt at the BYU Museum of Art?!